A lot of you already know that Joe from Retire By 40 was my inspiration for heading down the path to FIRE. He gave me the kick in the pants I needed to realize that early retirement was possible.
I took a week off of work when my daughter was born in 2010. When I had to go back to work after that and couldn’t be with her throughout the days after, it crushed me. I struggled, but I thought that was just the way it goes.
But then, a couple of years later, I stumbled across the Retire By 40 blog and was blown away. There were a lot of similarities between our lives and that gave me pause. A regular guy like me (no offense, Joe!) was able to before he was 40 years old.
His blog became my realization that FIRE was truly possible. And with that, I set out on the new mission. And I was finally able to leave my job, financially independent, at the end of 2018.
So I was truly honored that Joe allowed me to be a part of his new “It Takes More Than Money to Retire Early” series.
In this interview, we talk about:
- My background and the inspiration Joe gave me to retire early
- Our financial goals and how we planned for early retirement (both financial and non-financial)
- Is it harder to reach FIRE with kids?
- Why do I think most people continue to work instead of pursuing FIRE?
- My typical day now that I no longer work a 9-5
- What I would have done differently in leaving my job
- Mistakes I’ve made along the way and lessons learned
I think Joe put together a great series and I’m happy with how this interview turned out. I’m looking forward to reading about the discussions with other early retirees he brings on for future posts.
Check out my interview on Retire By 40 and let me know what you think:
Thanks for reading!!