Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and we may receive a referral fee (at no extra cost to you) if you sign up or purchase products or services mentioned.
Back in early January, I had an opportunity to be interviewed by the wonderful Risa Morimoto from Modern Aging. She wanted to get my take on our time here in Panama. What do we like and dislike? Why would someone want to retire in Panama?
I met Risa earlier this year during the shooting of our House Hunters International episode. She was the director and she’s just a great person all around. Risa’s got the personality and sense of humor you just can’t help but enjoy being around.
As we got closer to the end of shooting, she asked me if I wanted to do an interview with her for the growing business she’s been running called Modern Aging. Her objective was to find out the reasons someone might want to retire in Panama.
I thought the idea was fun so we sat down outside for the interview right here in Valle Escondido where we live. Risa asked me a lot of the questions that many of you might be wondering about various aspects here in Boquete. We touched on subjects such as:
- The weather – how does the weather in Boquete compare to the rest of the country?
- The cost of living – rent/utilities and more importantly… all the restaurants!
- Food/Shopping – can you get what you want at the grocery stores? Plus fresh fruits and veggies, eating out, and even Target, Walmart, and Home Depot alternatives
- Transportation – do you need a car here? What about taxis and buses? Is it a walkable town?
- Activities – what do you do around here?
- Money and banking – banks, cash, and credit cards
- Cell phones and service – The cost of cell phone service, Whatsapp, and using Google Voice while abroad
- Visa/Residency – the Pensionado Visa and the Friendly Nations Visa
- Culture/Community – do you need to know Spanish and a few of the helpful apps to use to learn the language
- Homesickness – it happens, folks!
So why retire in Panama? Play the video below to find out!
Between the episode of House Hunters International we starred in and this YouTube interview, I’ve learned that I truly have a face for radio! But that’s alright with me – I’ll keep doing things like these until they’re not fun anymore – you’re the ones stuck looking at me! 🙂
Enjoy the video and let me know your thoughts – I’d love to hear ’em!
If you’ve ever wondered if you could retire in Panama, you might want to check out Panama Relocation Tours. You’ll find out everything you’ll need to know about the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is probably the best way to know if this country’s the right place for you.
But if you can’t do the tour for one reason or another, Jackie’s now introduced The Complete Panama Relocation Guide to help provide you with all the resources you’d need. She provides you with contacts such as recommended lawyers, health insurance companies, honest real estate companies, reliable health care providers, and more. She also holds your hand and walks you through the answers to so many questions you might have about moving to Panama.
Have you ever considered retiring to another country like Panama?
Thanks for reading (and watching)!!